Monday, January 12, 2009

A Blast From The Past!

I have a discovered a new passion in my life. Restoring vintage fiberglass fly rods.

I have become particularly fond of Horrocks-Ibbotson rods. They have a "working man" way about them that I really enjoy. First I find these rods, strip them of their flaws and then give them new life. Below is an example of an H-I Mohawk #1422 that I recently restored. I tried to keep this rod as close to original as possible while still adding a little of my own style.

Before:


After:


I absolutely love these ole' fly rods. As I sit at my work table and go through the process of rebuilding them I can't help but wonder, "Who owned this rod?", "What kind and how many fish has it caught?". It is easy to get wrapped up in a time in history when the streams were cleaner and less crowded. I hope the person(s) who owned this rod before me loved it as much as I do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm trying to find out more about my dad's old Horrocks-Ibbotson Mohawk Deluxe fiberglass fly rod and someone pointed me in your direction? Do you have any background info on the H-I company? Any info at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Pete
Fishing Jones